Hmm...This Might Work

Solutions from a day long since past
posts - 20, comments - 7, trackbacks - 0

Hiding Disabled Users From Exchange Address Book

The other day while reviewing an Exchange 2010 Environment, I noticed a few active mailboxes belonging to disabled users. For obvious reasons this isn’t a good thing, if for nothing else it clutters up the Exchange Address Book.

Next thought in my mind…So what’s the best way to hide these disabled users? Having the PowerShell bias that I do in fact have, I had to spend 15 minutes reviewing the options.

  1. Use a manual process. This would include disabling the user in AD, followed up with the steps described here.
  2. Use Exchange Address Book Policies(ABP). As indicated in this article, APB’s have a dependency on Exchange 2010 SP2. That said it seems like a viable and interesting approach.
  3. Use PowerShell. As I started from the outset, I’m biased right now…So a PowerShell only approach seems “more better”.

Here is the script I used in a resource / user environment. Keep in mind this is a down and dirty version, a proof of concept. I would limit the use of this example as an inspiration only. (good or bad)

#This script will query for all LinkedMailboxes when ran on an Exchange Server

#It will return a user set who show their Linked Master Accounts as disabled

#Use the results with "Set-Mailbox -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true" to change

#all of the disabled users to hidden from the address book. Example Below

add-pssnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010 -ErrorAction Continue

Import-Module ActiveDirectory

$linkmbx = get-mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails LinkedMailbox

$alcusers = Get-Aduser -Filter * -Server <your domain here> -Properties Enabled

$userrpt = @()

foreach ($mbx in $linkmbx){

$name = $mbx.linkedmasteraccount

$user = $name.split("\")

$alcuser = $alcusers | where {$_.samaccountname -eq $user[1]}

if ($alcuser.Enabled -eq $false){

$rpt = New-Object System.Object

$rpt | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Name -Value $alcuser.Name

$rpt | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Alias -Value $mbx.alias

$rpt | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name HidFromAddBook -Value $mbx.HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled

$userrpt += $rpt

$rpt

}

}

Write-Host "There are" $userrpt.count "linked mailboxes with disabled user accounts in user domain"

<#

#Uncomment this section if you want to include changing the address book visability

Foreach ($user in $usrrpt){

Write-Host "Changing address book visability for" $user.alias

Set-Mailbox -Identity $user.alias -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true

}

#>

Of course the next thought of automation comes to mind…but that’s a different post. 

Print | posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:15 PM | Filed Under [ Exchange 2010 Powershell ]

Feedback

No comments posted yet.

Post Comment

Title  
Name  
Email
Url
Comment   
Please add 6 and 6 and type the answer here:

Powered by: